Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just some thoughts and some things.

Well, hello there, everyone!  I found a perfect spot in my day to blog, and I'm so happy about it.  I just finished the exam I was most worried about, so of course I am mightily relieved.  I'm still a bit under the weather, but I'm just so happy that stress is foisting itself off my shoulders little by little.

---
While digging through the depths of my iPod, I found a new favorite band by which to study!  Normally, I listen to Frank Sinatra because I know the songs really well, so I'm not distracted by it and it's just pleasant background noise.  But this new one is perfect because you can't really understand much of what they're saying anyway.  When Will was here, he gave me some of their CDs.  The band is called Bon Iver, and so far what I've listened to is perfect for studying and schoolwork.

---
I'm sorry my posts lately are just blurbs.  I haven't been up to anything significant enough about which I could write a full length post.

---
My Kindle crashed the other day.  That was fun.  And then, on Sunday, we discovered my MacBook's (her name is Sophie) hard drive was defective when it decided not to turn on one day.  So they are both no longer with us... but I should get Sophie back from the technician today or tomorrow, and Amazon is sending me a replacement Kindle.  Until then, my eye is twitching.

---
This weekend, if I get all my work done, I'm hoping to go to a thrift market with my mom.  I didn't catch the need-to-go-thrifting bug until we left Hawaii, and here in Rome you can by no means just drive down to a Salvation Army.  No indeed.  Italians are very into brands.  But I don't care so much, as long as the clothes are cute, so I was thrilled to hear about an open market where you can get great pieces for better prices.  I think my four cardigans need a little rest.  Let's see what I find, shall we?

---
I love orange season.  Now that I'm on this health-kick, having a bowl of oranges on the dining room table, aka my school work-space, is perfect.  I have oranges right in front of my eyes, so they're the first things I think to eat, as opposed to rummaging through cabinets to find significantly fattier snacks.  And the oranges at our market are delightful; they are sort of a blood-orange/classic orange hybrid and they are unreal.

---
I finally finished Twilight, but it'll be a while before I'm able to drag thoughts out of my head and paste them together coherently.  My sincerest apologies.

---
I do enjoy a good historical fiction book.  If you have any to recommend, it would be much appreciated.  I'm in a rut of not exactly knowing what to read, so please, shout out to your favorite books.  Keep in mind, I very much dislike sci-fi, and Lord of the Rings was not my cup of tea.  Although, I loved the Chronicles of Narnia.  I'm nothing if not consistent.


Have a beautiful day!

8 comments:

  1. mmmm...oranges are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got the exam you were worrying about over. That's always a relief. And sorry about your Kindle/Macbook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Historical fiction...hmm. I know several.
    One is called "Duncan's War." Its a series of three, and I really like them.
    I liked "To Kill a Mockingbird" too. Not exactly sure if it would be considered historical fiction or not though.
    hehe I'm perusing through my bookshelves now looking for other good ones.
    You might like the "Isle of Swords" Its a little bit juvenile and you would finish it quickly, but still a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, historical fiction is my FAVORITE.
    Book i thought of right away:
    The Pearl-Maiden, by H. Rider Haggard. Really great book!
    I found this link where you can read it for free online (!)
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5175/5175-h/5175-h.htm
    but, I'm also one of those people who likes to have the book in my hands, so, whatever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! and I almost forgot, I don't know if you've read this before, but Gone With the Wind is one of my FAVORITE books. it's amazing. read it for sure :) (the sequel stinks, but it was written by another author so)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if this truly counts, but I absolutely adore the series that Shannon Hale writes that begins with the Goose Girl. It's a bit slow at first, but very, very good. Enna Burning, the second in the series, is my in my top 10 favorite books. :) I hope you do well on Finals! I adore Bon Iver. :)

    xoxo,
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh I would suggest the Shannon Hale series as well. They're really easy reads but I enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just remembered this book last night. The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my ABSOLUTE favorites. It is so amazing, and a great mix of different elements like suspence, action, mystery, and romance.

    ReplyDelete

Rude, Vulgar, and/or Offensive comments will be deleted promptly. So play nice, kids. :)