Monday, January 3, 2011

10,000 moments

I've mentioned this before on the blog somewhere far back, but I work in spurts.  I'll do something really good for two or three days and then I slowly trickle back into old patterns of whatever it was I was trying to overcome.  I know that part of this problem is nerves.  This may sound ridiculous, but often, when faced with a hugely daunting challenge, I simply sit and stare at it and do nothing because it seems too big, as opposed to doing something to shrink it.

But here's my biggest problem:  I err on the side of the dramatic.  There's nothing that would appeal to me more than huge, life-changing explosions where I'm suddenly a new girl, ready to tackle her issues.

Yeah, it doesn't really work that way.  Somehow, though, I keep expecting it to work just like that, even if it's mostly a subconscious idea.  And it never, ever, ever has any effect.  I eventually burn out because I was running on feelings.  Feeling, my friends, is the fuel that will run out after only a few inches.

So, as I was checking through my list of blogs to read the other day, I came across one of my mom's posts.  Her blog is here.  She posted a quote from Paul Tripp, and I think it's extraordinary.  I encourage you, please go read the whole thing here.

This is my favorite quote:

You see, the character of a life is not set in two or three dramatic moments, but in 10,000 little moments. The character that was formed in those little moments is what shapes how you respond to the big moments of life.
What leads to significant personal change?
  • 10,000 moments of personal insight and conviction
  • 10,000 moments of humble submission
  • 10,000 moments of foolishness exposed and wisdom gained
  • 10,000 moments of sin confessed and sin forsaken
  • 10,000 moments of courageous faith
  • 10,000 choice points of obedience
  • 10,000 times of forsaking the kingdom of self and running toward the kingdom of God
  • 10,000 moments where we abandon worship of the creation and give ourselves to worship of the Creator.
And what makes all of this possible? Relentless, transforming, little-moment grace. You see, Jesus is Emmanuel not just because he came to earth, but because he makes you the place where he dwells. This means he is present and active in all the mundane moments of your daily life.

I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions, but I think I'm simply going to resolve to be resolved.  It's going to take so much prayer and so much of God's abiding grace, but that's something I can count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude, Vulgar, and/or Offensive comments will be deleted promptly. So play nice, kids. :)