Saturday, September 18, 2010

Is there a hitchhiker's guide to having a sore knee?

Today, I am not doing much of anything. I simply can't, you see. My fever went away, and yesterday I thought my knee was healed, too! But, alas, how wrong was I! We went to the mall last night, and about halfway through our trip, my knee started bugging me. Then I heard (and felt) a pop, and suddenly it hurt.

A whole lot.

I was able to limp around for a while longer, all the while feeling thoroughly stupid, and finally we made it to the food court where I could sit down.

May I digress for a moment?  Thanks!  Riddle me this: why are food courts called food courts?  No sports are played there, unless you call shoveling pizza into your mouth a sport.  It's nothing like a tennis court.  And it's not at all royal; not like a "court"yard or "the Queen's court."  It's a travesty, really, and the whole idea of a food court should be renounced promptly.  Let's, for the sake of my sanity, call them a calorie-consumption venue.

Digressing back to the point.

Once father had purchased the cheese pizzas, we all sat down in the calorie-consumption venue.  I was enjoying my calories immensely, and my knee was thanking me for the rest.  I leaned down to grab a bobby pin out of my purse to pin my bangs back, but that attempt did not, in fact, come to fruition.  You see, directly before I was able to find said hair pin, my knee popped.  Yet again.  And I swiftly lost my appetite, pushed my pizza over to my father, and held out my hand for my mother to give me some motrin.  At this point, I was entirely distressed.

Not being able to shop to my full potential really gets me down, man.

Once we returned to our living quarters (I'm feeling very literal today), I put on my pjs, plopped on the couch, and put my leg up.  I was freezing, so I brought my pink snuggie along, too.  We watched some Friday Night Lights, and then we retired to our bedchambers.  But not before getting eating a peanut butter/nutella sandwich, for my appetite had returned!

And now, my mother and father have come to the conclusion that I must rest my knee until it gets better.  I am not happy about this.  I want to go, I want to do, I want to BE!  But unfortunately, my knee will have none of that.

But, I have plenty of homework to keep me company.  And my best friend, Kindle.  (On my Kindle, I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it's really all too funny.  I've been rolling.)

Now, I shall leave you with an excerpt from this funny, funny book.  The context is that the spaceship is being chased down by two missiles, and the people in the spaceship would rather not die.  So, they press a button (the Improbability Drive) though know one knows what will happen whenever you press it.  The missiles turn into a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias.

"Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.  And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it had to come to terms with not being a whale anymore.  This is a complete record of it's thought from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

'Ah...!  What's happening?' it thought. 'Er, excuse me, who am I? Hello?  Why am I here?  What's my purpose in life?  What do I mean by who am I?  Calm down, get a grip now... oh!  This is an interesting sensation, what is it?  It's a sort of... yawning, tingling sensation in my.. my... well, I suppose I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call and argument I shall call the world, so let's call it my stomach.  Good.  Ooooh, it's getting quite strong.  And hey, what about this whistling, roaring sound going past I'm suddenly going to call my head?  Perhaps I can call that... wind!  Is that a good name?  It'll do... perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I've found out what it's for.  It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a heck of a lot of it.  Hey!  What's this thing?  This... let's call it a tail- yeah, tail.  Hey!  I can really thrash it about pretty good, can't I?  Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much, but I'll probably find out what it's for later on.  Now, have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?  No.  Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation... Or is it the wind?  There really is a lot of that now, isn't there?  And wow!  Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming toward me very fast?  Very, very fast.  So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like... ow... ound... round... ground!  That's it!  That's a good name- ground!  I wonder if it'll be friends with me?'

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence."

Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude, Vulgar, and/or Offensive comments will be deleted promptly. So play nice, kids. :)