Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rain, rain, don't go away

Rain.  I love the rain.

Yesterday, my grandparents and I had to wait in the cold rain for the bus and then hurry down a block to my apartment in it, and I complained about it.  But you know what?  Soon after, I had to go put on my fun leopard print galoshes and my raincoat and go pick up a month bus pass for November.  And you know what?

It was delightful.

There was thunder rumbling in the dark clouds above me, my hair was three inches too frizzy from all the nature it was enduring, my fingers were cold, my face and nose were pink from the elements, and I was utterly windblown.  But I loved every moment.

Splashing along in my boots through the puddles to the cross the street, I felt like a little child.  I felt like a little child who feels the need to put on her swimsuit and run around in the driveway when it rains, just because.

As I stood in front of the little stand where I got my ticket, I couldn't get my umbrella to open.  I fought with it for a while, and finally gave up.  I tilted my face up towards the sky and felt the rain drip down my face, fast and cool, and I splashed happily back home.

I love the rain.  When it rains, I like to stand on the balcony and hold my hands out just to touch.  I want to feel the little bursts of life-giving water that, if they could talk, would proudly say that they had touched the sky.

"Sing to our Lord with thanksgiving; make melody to our God on the lyre!  He covers the heavens with clouds; he prepares rain for the earth; he makes grass grow on the hills."
Psalm 147:7-8


"For he draws up drops of water; they distill his mist in rain, which the skies pour down and drop on mankind abundantly.  Can anyone understand the spreading of the clouds, the thunderings of his pavilion?  Behold, he scatters his lightning about him and covers the roots of the seas.  For by these he judges peoples; he gives food in abundance.  He covers his hand with the lightning and commands it to strike the mark.  Its crashing declares his presence..."
Job 36:27-33


Next time it rains, next time the thunder rolls, next time the lightning bursts through the clouds, I will remember it's from his hands, and it is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude, Vulgar, and/or Offensive comments will be deleted promptly. So play nice, kids. :)