Monday, October 11, 2010

Sow and Reap

Dear readers,

Today is a day.  Quite a day.

Today something exciting happened to me.

Today, I smiled a great big smile, and squealed and jumped for joy.

Today, I harvested.


For weeks I have been sowing, working so very hard to do well at something to which I normally just don't take.  I've sat and worked over and over again, spending a bit of extra time here, a bit of extra time there.

I have been praying, I've been fighting off the laziness that comes so frighteningly naturally to me.

Everything I've reaped and all the work I've done, I attribute to God.  Without Him calling me to study Proverbs for the past month or so, this wouldn't have happened, not in a million years.  Without His bountiful grace opening my eyes to see and my ears to hear, motivating me to work, to try, to succeed, I would have never done what I did.

Today, I made a 95% on my geometry test.

It sounds like such a simple thing, but for me it's a battle won.  I've never liked anything related to math or science, and so I've never really tried.  But all thanks to God, this time I fought my nature and won.

So why is it that this isn't my constant philosophy?  My head knows exactly the pattern:  sow, reap, sow, reap.  I previously planted dry, puny seeds of laziness and complacency which, in ground that, easily, I fertilized and nurtured, grew into terrible, prickly trees that were so large they nearly blocked out the sun.  This time, I toiled to plant seeds that were healthy, but needed great care and continued treatment, and out grew beautiful plants that make the garden so beautiful that I only want to fill it with more flowers.

But I know that it will forever be a battle.

One day, perhaps I'll be doing geometry, or any schoolwork, and I'll get distracted.  Maybe my assignment will be late.  I know, in the moment, that this laziness will only bring me pain and sorrow later, but I do exactly what the culture advises.  I "follow my heart"..... All the way to destruction.

This is the basis of the need for daily reflection.  Not only is it because of my gratitude for the Lord's goodness, but also simply because I need to be constantly reminded of my calling, and of my nature.   And to be honest, reading my Bible every day is not something I have ever, or will ever, be perfect at doing.  I will be tired, I will be lazy, as is my nature, and I will not read and reflect on promises of God.  And, yet again, I will sow the seed and it will grow.

So why do I not always sow the good seed?  Because it is hard.  It can be so, so hard.  Back-breaking labor that brings me to my knees in front of the Lord.  But is the reward not far better than the few stolen seconds of idleness that only bring temporal and fleeting pleasure?

 Proverbs 6:6-10 "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways and be wise.  Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in the summer, and gathers her food for the harvest.  How long will you lie there, O sluggard?  When will you arise from your sleep?  A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man."  

Today I will think on these words.  And, I can not do this laborious task of sowing good fruit on my own, so I pray that he will teach me every day how to lay on Him the burdens that I simply can not bear.

So, pray with me, and ask yourself what you are really sowing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude, Vulgar, and/or Offensive comments will be deleted promptly. So play nice, kids. :)